Your skin is part of one of your integumentary system which is a big word that refers to skin, hair and nails.
While only a few millimeters thick, your skin is the largest organ of your body. On average, it weighs 10 pound and covers a surface area of almost 20 square feet. Is it any wonder why it has such an impact on our overall well-being?
Skin forms your body’s outer covering and protects it from chemicals, disease, UV light and physical damage. It protects your internal tissues and organs and acts as a receptor for touch, pressure, pain, heat and cold. It stores water and fat, helps prevent dehydration and aids in disposing body waste materials. It also helps to insulate your body and protect it from abrupt changes in temperature.
An important feature of your skin is that it’s the part that the world SEES! It helps you make good first impressions because it directly affects how others perceive you. Participants in one study noticed the skin FIRST 41% of the time.
More importantly, the health of your skin has a huge role in your self-image, self-confidence and how you face the world overall. That’s huge because it’s directly related to your success. Studies confirm a higher incidence of anxiety and depression among people with common skin disorders.
So, it is important to LOVE THE SKIN you’re in! It’s also important to know how to choose products that will nourish your skin. Skin care is big business; in the US alone, it rakes in about $43 billion per year. Skin care products are everywhere and labels can be misleading.
So, where should you start? Knowledge is power so start by understanding the huge impact your choices have each day on the health of your skin:
- You wash it with soap and water
- You shampoo your hair
- You rub lotions, oils, and balms on your body
- You spray or dab on perfumes
- You cover your skin with clothing
Because the skin is an organ of elimination, it is also affected by the foods you eat, the amount of water you drink, and your overall health in general.
So, do you love the skin you’re in today? Or do you need to make different choices so that your skin will be healthy, radiant and beautiful?
Those choices might include:
- Eliminate processed foods, fast foods, and foods that are loaded with preservatives, artificial flavoring, artificial coloring, and other ingredients that are known to be unhealthy. READ LABELS and know what you’re putting into your body. This choice will support all twelve of your body systems.
- Eliminate personal care products (eg lotions, shampoos, conditioners, soaps, etc.) that have synthetic ingredients that are known disrupt hormones, cause respiratory problems, and even cancer. Again, READ LABELS and ditch the toxins! A good resource is the Environmental Working Group – http://ewg.org/
- Drink plenty of good, clean water. Avoid water that is bottled in plastic and do your research to ensure the water you’re drinking is pH balanced and free from fluoride, chlorine, etc. I use the Berkey Water Filter System – https://www.berkeyfilters.com/
- Take a brisk, 30-minute walk every day. This, too, will help support other body systems and contribute significantly to an upgrade in your overall health and well-being.
- Get enough quality, restful sleep each night. Turn off all the lights and move as many electronics out of your bedroom as possible. Avoid eating right before bedtime.
- Know what’s in your laundry detergent, fabric softeners and dry-cleaning products and eliminate those products that are loaded with harsh, harmful chemicals that can penetrate your skin.
As you begin to make healthier choices, you’ll start to see improvements in your overall health. And, as you eliminate products in your home that contain harmful ingredients, replace them with all-natural, plant-based products that nourish your skin and bathe your cells with gentle, wholesome, nourishing ingredients.
I highly recommend products from Young Living Essential Oils. They are all-natural and many are infused with essential oils which actually upgrade their effectiveness. Every product carries the Seed to Seal guarantee of purity and quality and they are safe for everyone in your home, including your pets.
To learn more, visit my website and click on Learn about Essential Oils. You can request a free introduction class and order any of the life-changing products from that site. I’ll be available to answer your questions and guide you through the transition to what we like to call “living ABOVE the wellness line.”
By making some key lifestyle changes and replacing harmful products with ones that nourish your skin, you will soon be